Monday, 26 September 2011

BODYCOUNT ART DIRECTION




I worked with the graphic design company 'ROSIE LEE' providing framing and external feedback on the logo design.


BODYCOUNT is a first person shooter I worked on for CODEMASTERS between 2009 and 2011. It was the most challenging project I’ve ever worked on, but the one I have learnt the most from.

I started as the Art Director in November of 2009 and set a style with the Creative Director for a game that would be inspired by the strong silhouettes and larger than life proportioning of comic books.

I also wanted the visuals to stand out from the crowd and to match the retro arcade sensibilities of the gameplay so I went all out for COLOUR. Ultimately that became a major marketing angle along with the design work I did for the covert enemy organisation in the game. Another motivation was that I knew we could make a game that looked like the concept paintings. We wanted to achieve a hand crafted art look... and for the most part we achieved it as the images below show.

I think the best lesson I'll take away from the project is that we had the courage and determination to try something visually different in the most crowded genre in the industry.





KEY ART - WE DID THIS IN ABOUT 10 DAYS. I DID MOST OF THE MAIN PAINTING WITH SUPPORT FROM CHARACTER AND CONCEPT DEPARTMENTS.



This was my first environment painting on the project. I wanted to investigate colour and surfaces. It's the African City Streets (minus the propping and debris passes). It was based on a french colonial look rather than a more modern style.





I painted this in about 3 days flat out. It shows the Pirate Bay stage.






I worked on this Mine painting with Rasmus Jorgensen. I set the composition and colour work. Ras did the underpainting and character sourcing etc and then I did an overpaint later to bring it in line with the other marketing paintings. I added a lot of smoke and debris and a new grade.




This was another 3-4 day painting and it shows the Asian Fishing Slum, which I also drew up the plans for, and directed
the gameplay and aesthetic propping passes on. I really loved working on this piece, even thought time was tight.





This is another shot I worked on with Ras, it shows a view of the Ice House in the Asian Fishing Slum stage.





I worked on this with vincent Jenkins, I set the composition and lighting info.
Vinny worked up the main body of the shot and then I polished it up for print.





OFFICIAL XBOX COVER IMAGE.
I directed this image across the character, concept, guns and marketing departments and did clean up onthe character render, gun render and border.





This is EDGE cover we were on.





This was the art used for the EDGE cover. The model was produced by the character art team, and I did the paint over.






This was the massive artwork used on the left staircase at E3 2011. My character design.
Sean Hood did the type and logos. characters were built and posed by the character team.






Stairs at E3 2011. It turned out well. Our machines were struggling to handle an image this size. Great fun to see it in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment